Rambler.ru is classified as a browser hijacker which is able to modify your browser’settings automatically, with the intention of redirecting you to unwanted websites and showing random advertisements on your pages. This browser hijacker can be stubborn that most users cannot remove it easily. If you are a victim of this browser hijacker, we advise that you get rid of it completely by downloading and using an exclusive malware removal tool.
Information about Rambler.ru
Rambler.ru is a browser hijacker that replaces users’ default homepage, new tab and even the default search engine with its own without any permission. Such behavior is similar to many other browser hijackers like Nova.rambler.ru and Launchpage.org. Do not think this change can be easily restored by the simple manual way. As a matter of fact, it is very difficult. Stubborn browser hijacker like Rambler.ru can’t be efficiently removed without the help of an effective malware removal tool. If you are one of the victims, you will know how annoying it is. It is reported that many users’ PCs have been infected by this threat recently. No mater you use Window 7, Vista, 8, XP or 10, it has the ability to infect all. Below is a screenshot of the Rambler.ru webpage.
At the first sight, it seems that there is no any difference between Rambler.ru and the regular website. However, it is a suspicious website that you can’t trust or search the information using it. Once infected, you will notice that this malware not only hijacks your default homepage, but also change your browsers’ shortcuts to its own website URL. See the image below.
Most of the time, browser hijacker like Rambler.ru will constantly keep displaying tons of annoying pop-up ads and suspicious links in your search results. Using this dubious website to search information, you might be redirected to some dangerous websites or ad-supporting websites that may be hosted by scammers. Sometimes only one click on the pop-up ads, you will be forced to install rouge applications on your computer that can’t be canceled. You should know that many dubious third party sites are created to promote the fake products or malicious software installation. In a word, this browser hijacker is designed by cyber criminals to generate revenue by trick users into clicking unsafe popup ads and purchasing their fake products. It can even damage users’ PCs by injecting malicious codes and files into the Windows registry. What’s worse, it may collect your search quires, browsing history, IP address and generate misleading pop up alerts to cheat you into downloading the fake software or selling fake products. You know a trustworthy search engine like Google won’t reveal users’ personal information, while a fake search engine like Rambler.ru may share collected data with evil hackers.
Have you realized the great harm caused by Rambler.ru? To avoid further unwanted damage, you shouldn’t keep this browser hijacker on your PC anymore. Now you can download an exclusive malware removal tool to remove this annoying browser hijacker right now!
The above removal tool is able to detect and remove many stubborn malware threats like browser hijackers, adware, and PUPs that other common antivirus programs will miss. It can thoroughly scan your computer system for all malicious files, folders and registry entries and other suspicious components, and then delete them all completely.
How to Identify a Bogus Website or a Phishing Website?
- Incorrect Address. The URL in the address bar is not official address, which hackers always take use of to confuse many computer users. Sometimes the difference lies in several words. For example, some websites use a same name, but domain names such as .com, .net, .org, .mil, etc are different.
- Unwanted Pop-ups. Some illegitimate websites are always filled with a large number pop ups. Besides ads, computer users should be careful about pop-up windows asking you to enter email, username & password, which may be one of phishing techniques to steal users’ personal information.
- Use Antiphishing Detection Tools. It is advised to install extensions, add-ons or plug-ins which have ability to detect phishing sites. Many mainstream browsers like IE, Chrome and Firefox will offer you various add-ons to install.
How Does a Browser Hijacker Gets into the Target Computer?
- Via opening spam mails or attachments.
- Via bundled with freeware, shareware or cracked software, especially from unknown links.
- Via visiting suspicious websites, links and pop ups.
- Via using others’ removal drives like USB without a full-scan
- Via taking advantage of holes and vulnerabilities and of your system.
How to Remove Rambler.ru from Your PC Effectively?
The following removal ways will guide you to completely get rid of Rambler.ru from your PC. For inexperienced computer users, we recommend using an automatic removal tool instead of taking the manual removal steps.
Option 1: Remove the browser hijacker by using an automatic malware removal tool.
SpyHunter is a powerful and real-time anti-spyware application specially designed to assist the average computer users in protecting their PCs from malicious threats. Thanks to its advanced technology, SpyHunter can quickly detect and remove the most stubborn malware like adware, spyware, Trojans, browser hijacker, rootkits, keyloggers, viruses, worms and other malicious programs from computer.
SpyHunter Installation Process
- Once finished downloading, click Run button.
- Choose the language you prefer and click OK button.
- Click CONTINUE to go on.
- Click FINISH button to finish SpyHunter installation.
- Once finished installing, launch SpyHunter to scan your PC by clicking Scan Computer Now.
- Once finished scanning, please click Fix Threats button to remove all detected threats.
Note: SpyHunter’s free version can only provide a free scanning to your PC and help you check whether the PC is infected or not. If you determine to remove the dangerous browser hijacker as well as other potentially unwanted programs, you need to register and obtain the paid version.
Option 2: Remove the browser hijacker by following the manual removal steps below.
Attention! The website URLs appearing in the screenshots below are just examples. If your PC gets infected by the Rambler.ru browser hijacker, you will see the website URL “http://rambler.ru”, when you follow the steps below to perform the removal.
Step1. Clear shortcuts of IE/Chrome/Firefox .
The browser hijacker may add its malicious link to your browser shortcuts as soon as it enters your computer. Thus, every time you launch your web browser, it can redirect you to its homepage no matter you are willing to visit or not. To get rid of this browser hijacker, the first step you should do is to delete the pernicious link from browser shortcuts to avoid redirection problem.
Fix IE shortcuts
- Right-click the IE shortcut on your Desktop or Taskbar, then select Properties.
- In the Target filed, delete everything after .exe” and then click Apply > OK button.
Fix Chrome shortcuts
- Right-click Chrome shortcut on your Desktop or Taskbar and select Properties from the list.
- In the Target field, remove everything after .exe, then click Apply > OK button.
Fix Firefox shortcuts
- Right-click your Firefox shortcut on Desktop or Taskbar and choose Properties.
- Delete everything behind .exe in the Target filed, then click Apply > OK button.
Step2. Remove unwanted plug-ins, extensions and add-ons from IE/Chrome/Firefox.
Once your browser is hijacked by Rambler.ru, it means that your browser has been completely controlled by this browser hijacker. It is possible that lots of malicious plug-ins have been added to your browsers. So you’d better remove all the suspicious plug-ins or extensions from your browser.
For IE users:
- Click the gear icon at the upper right corner and then select Manage add-ons.
- In the opened window, find out any suspicious plug-ins and then click Disable button to terminate them.
For Chrome users:
- Click the Chrome menu and then select More tools > Extensions.
- Search for any dubious extensions and click the trash bin to delete them.
For Firefox users:
- Click the Tools menu and select Add-ons from drop down menu. (Or click Firefox menu at the upper right corner of and choose Add-ons.)
- After a window pops up, look for unwanted add-ons and click Remove button to disable them.
Step3. Remove the browser hijacker’s related website URL and search engine from IE/Chrome/Firefox.
For IE users:
- Click the gear icon located in the top right corner and select Internet options.
- Remove the malicious website URL http://rambler.ru/and type a preferable web address as your new homepage or choose Use new tab. Then click Apply > OK button.
- Click the gear icon again and select Manage add-ons from the list.
- In the opened window, click Search Providers on the left bar. Since the browser hijacker has hijacked your default search engine, so you need to choose a desired search engine as you default such as Google. Then get rid of the suspicious search engine by clicking the Remove button.
For Chrome users:
- Click the Chrome menu and choose Settings.
- Click Set pages link under On startup.
- Delete the unwanted website URLby clicking the X icon. Then you can type a desired web address as your new startup page and click OK button.
- Return to Settings window, click Change link under Appearance.
- Delete the unwanted website URL. Then you can type another page as your new homepage or choose Use the New Tab page and click OK button.
- Keep staying on the Settings page, find out Manage search engines button and click it.
- When a dialog box pops up as shown below, select Google or other reliable one as your default search engine, then remove the unwanted search engine. After that, click Done button.
For Firefox users:
- Click Tools menu and select Options.
- In the Options window, remove the unwanted website URL. Then you can enter another web address as your new homepage.
- Stay on Options page, switch to click Search tab on the left bar. Under Default Search Engine, click the inverted triangle icon to choose your favorite search engine such as Google.
- Then scroll down, search for the malicious search engine from the box and click Remove button to eliminate it.
Step4. Reset IE/Chrome/Firefox to its default settings (optional).
Since the browser hijacker is good at monitoring your browsing history and collecting the relevant data and information once getting into your PC, we suggest you to reset your web browsers to clear your recent history.
- Click IE menu and select Internet options.
- Click Advanced tab at the top right corner and then click Reset button.
- When a dialog box pops up, check Delete personal settings and click Reset button.
- Click Close button after a message box pops up.
- Click Chrome menu and select Settings.
- In the Settings page, scroll down to the bottom and click Show advanced settings link.
- Then continue to scroll down to the bottom and click Reset settings button.
- After a window pops up, click Reset button.
- Click Help menu and select Troubleshooting Information.
- Click Refresh Firefox in the opened window.
- When a message box appears, click Refresh Firefox button.
- Once finished downloading, click Run button.
Important note: The manual removal guide above can’t make sure 100% removal of Rambler.ru, since the browser hijacker could deep hide its traces in your computer system, and it is hard for you to manually find and delete all its related files and entries. So, you may sadly find this browser comes back after performing the manual removal. In this case, we highly recommend using an exclusive removal tool thoroughly delete Rambler.ru from your PC.
Watch the video below to learn how to perform the removal of Rambler.ru.