Getting infected by a browser hijacker should be a very annoying thing and failing to remove it will definitely make you frustrating. Today we are going to talk about a browser hijacker called Searchalgo.com. This browser hijacker has been released on the Internet for a long time and it still affects users’ web browsers till now. Below is a image captured from https://support.mozilla.org. From this screenshot, you can see that this browser hijacker can set itself as a user’s new tab page and cannot be removed easily.
If your computer is also get infected by this browser hijacker, you can follow our remvoal guide to clean it out of your machine.
What Is Searchalgo.com?
Searchalgo.com is a type of browser hijacker that has the capability of modifying your browser settings and redirecting you to websites that you have no intention of visiting. This browser hijacker attacks all types of popular browsers such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. Affected browser’s homepage, startup page, or new tab page will be changed to http://www.searchalgo.com. Meanwhile, the default search engine will be changed to another one (a search engine called Web Search). Below is how your browser looks when affected by the browser hijacker.
This browser hijacker is used for advertising and promotion. When doing a search with the browser hijacker’s search engine, you can be redirected to Yahoo search in some cases and see targeted search results and some sponsored content from the results list. These sponsored results are usually pay-per-click advertisements expected to increase websites traffic. The developers of the browser hijacker make income out of your clicks. Searchalgo.com displays the sponsored content according to the keywords you enter into the search box, the websites you have browsed, and the ads you have clicked.
But note that, clicking on these sponsored search results may lead to you unsafe and deceptive websites, which would bring unexpected trouble to you. For example, you could click on a sponsored link promoting an online dating site and are cheated to pay a large amount of money as the membership fee but actually cannot enjoy the privileges supposed to be offered to you. Hence, it is suggested that you avoid clicking on those sponsored links.
How Does Searchalgo.com Spread?
Searchalgo.com often spreads via third-party software installations. It can get into your computer without your knowledge by bundling with software that you have downloaded from the Internet. Namely, it hides in some software’s installation pagekage and gets installed together with the software. If you install the software under the Express or Recommended installation mode, you won’t notice the fact that you are going to install Searchalgo.com on your PC, since there is no reminding about the installation of this browser hijacker at all. Actually, lots of software packages have additional programs or toolbars selected for installation. If you are used to install software using the Recommended mode, it is not strange why your computer is always infected by some malware programs. To prevent this, you should select the Custom or Advanced installation mode, so that you can see what is going to be installed together with the wanted software and further deselect it.
This browser hijacker may also spread through advertisements (such as popups and banners) and malicious websites. Remember not to visit websites that have a low reputation, nor click on the popup ads or banner ads within the sites. A good browsing habit can largely keep your PC safe.
Is It Needed to Remove Searchalgo.com?
Yes. We always recommend using a reputable and reliable search engine to search the internet. Although it seems that Searchalgo.com will redirect you to the yahoo search result page, it is a trick used by its developers, aiming to convince you that you are using a safe search engine and will get reliable search results. But don’t be fooled. A legitimate search engine won’t get installed on your computer itself and make changes to your browser settings without asking your approval. There is a no doubt that Searchalgo.com, which has automatically altered your homepage and default search egnine, is a browser hijacker, or at least, it is a potentially unwanted program. If you keep it on your PC, you may experience several unexpected problems, such as getting redirected to unwanted websites, receiving annoying popup ads, or even accidentially downloading malware programs on your PC. It won’t be a good feeling that you lose control over your web browser, right? So, why not take immediate action to get rid of Searchalgo.com from your PC?
How to Remove Searchalgo.com Browser Hijacker from Your PC?
You can first try removing the browser hijacker from the affected browsers and then fix the browser shortcuts. Then, restart the computer and see if the browser hijacker has been removed. If not, you need to take one more action – run SpyHunter to scan for and remove all its traces in order to permanently remove it out of your PC. Please follow the guide below.
» Remove the browser hijacker from the affected browsers.
» Fix browser shortcuts modified by the browser hijacker.
» Scan for and remove traces of the browser hijacker using SpyHunter.
Remove the browser hijacker from the affected browsers.
When hijacking your web browsers, the browser hijacker may have changed your homepage, startup page, new tab page and default search engine to its own. What you need to do is remove its website URL from the Home Page field and delete its search engine from your browsers.
For Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer browser.
2. Click the Tools menu (gear icon) and select Internet Options from the drop-down list.
3. Under the General tab, remove the unwanted website address, type your preferred one such as google.com and then click OK.
4. Click the Tools menu again. This time select Manage add-ons.
5. Click Search Providers, and check all search providers installed on your PC. If you find a search engine called Web Search has been set as the default, you should first set a search engine you like as the default, and then right click the unwanted one, and click the Remove button.
For Google Chrome:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Click on Chrome’s Tools menu which is represented by three horizontal lines, and select the option labeled Settings from the drop-down list.
3. In the open page, click Set pages under On startup.
4. A small window will open. If you see an unwanted website URL there, highlight it and click the X button to delete it.
5. Back to the Setting page, locate Appearance, tick the checkbox labelled Show Home button, and click the Change link.
6. In the popup Home page window, delete the unwanted website URL and click OK.
7. Now move to the Search section, click Manage search engines.
8. In the open window, if your find that your default search engine has been set to the unwanted one, you need to first make your favorite one (such as Google) as the default.
9. Then, highlight the unwanted search engine and click the X button.
For Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Click the Firefox menu (3-bar icon) and then click Options.
3. In General tab, delete the URL of Searchalgo.com and enter a new website address.
4. Then, switch to the Search tab. Under Default Search Engine, click on the drop-down arrow and you will see a list of all installed search engines. Select the one you want to make as the default.
5. Then, navigate to the One-click search engines section, Choose the unwanted search engine, and click the Remove button.
Fix browser shortcuts modified by the browser hijacker.
The browser hijacker may change your browser shortcuts so that you will be redirected to its own page every time your open the browsers. Now follow these steps to fix the shortcuts in all affected web browsers. Take Internet Explorer for example:
1. Right click the icon of Internet Explorer on your desktop and click the Properties option.
2. Under Shortcut tab, locate Target, and then delete the unwanted website URL located after “…iexplore.exe”. Click OK to save the change.
To remove the unwanted shortcuts from other web browsers, just repeat the steps above.
Scan for and remove traces of the browser hijacker using SpyHunter.
If you have finished the steps above and restarted the computer, but still find the browser hijacker on your PC, then it is highly recommended that you run SpyHunter to scan for and remove all its traces from your PC.
Now you can click the button below to download SpyHunter setup file on your PC.
Then, folllow the steps below to install and use this program to fix threats on your PC.
1. Double click on the icon of the setup file you have downloaded just now.
2. Click the Run button to allow it run on your computer.
3. Select your language.
4. Click on CONTINUE.
6. Wait for the installation to complete.
7. Click on EXIT when the setup is successful.
8. SpyHunter will automatically run on your PC. Start a quick scan by clicking the Scan Computer Now.
9. Now SpyHunter will start scanning for malware threats on your PC. It will take some time, please be patient.
10. Once the scanning is done, you can click on Fix Threats button to delete all detected items from your computer.
11. Once the deletion finishes, SpyHunter may require you to restart your system. Allow it to do so. Searchalgo.com should have been removed from your PC now.
Searchalgo.com looks like a normal site that offers the search service; however, it is a browser hijacker that can take control over your browser settings and would give you a bad browsing experience. It replaces your homepage and default search engine without your consent. When you do some searching, it will redirect you to the Yahoo search page, making your believe that the search results are reliable and trustworthy. But the fact is that, it tries to show you as many sponsored results as possible. To attract your clicks, it even collects your search keywords, browsing history and ad-click history in order to display advertising related results that match your interests. Be noted that, these sponsored results provided by the browser hijacker is not safe for you to click. Sometimes, you may be redirected to dangerous websites and experience some unhappy things. Therefore, it is wise that you remove Searchalgo.com from your computer as quickly as possible. Above we have given the removal guide. Hope it will help you. Last but not least, it is very important that you safeguard your computer with a powerful anti-malware program which can not only block malicious attacks, but also detect & remove all types of malware threats. If you haven’t invested one, directly click the button below to get SpyHunter downloaded and installed on your PC now!